Thursday, February 16, 2012

Prayer Request

What a crazy 24 hours it has been. Yesterday I had my 30 week appointment. I met with Dr. H and we discussed what all has been going on (the cramping, which has gotten slightly worse and the contractions that I'm still having). She examined me and without hesitating told me I had dilated to 1cm. From that moment on everything else was a blur.

After my exam she had me go and get a Non-Stress Test (NST) to see if I was actively contracting. As soon as I got hooked up for the test I started cramping and having a lot of uterine irritability. The NST lasted about 25 minutes and then I went back and saw Dr. H to talk about what we would do from here.

The first thing she said was that I would be on strict bedrest for the duration of the pregnancy. She was glad that I had made it to 30 weeks, but would be more happy if we could get to the 32 mark. We talked about when she would give the steroid shot to boost Jaxon's lung maturity and that will depend on what happens at my appointment next week. I also had blood drawn for my liver enzymes to check and make sure they are still okay. And because of my uterine irritability, she sent me down to L&D to get a couple doses of Brethine (it's used to relax the uterus and help stop preterm labor). She also increased my Procardia to every 4 hours.

I have cried A LOT these last 24 hours. From a nursing standpoint I know that it's not quite time for Jaxon to make his arrival. And I hate knowing so much sometimes! As a pediatric nurse I know first hand the effects that can come from premature deliveries. Yes there are many successful stories, but I don't get to see very many of those at my job. I love what I do and I love taking care of these kids, but I've also seen what it does to families and the toil it takes on them. And yesterday I caught myself wondering if I could handle something like that. At that moment I wasn't sure if I could be strong enough. But I know my God has a plan for me, my family and for Jaxon. He will never give us more than we can handle and I know His hands are on our situation.

I have been saying this prayer over and over...

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore. Psalm 121

Clay and I would greatly appreciate your prayers during these next few weeks. We have no idea what is in store for us, but we know that God is right here in the middle of it all and he is going to take care of everything!

And I couldn't help but post this picture...
I just adore this little boy!!!

3 comments :

  1. Sending up prayers for you and Jaxon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my gosh Jennifer. I will be on my knees for your sweet family!!! God knows, and He is MORE THAN ABLE to keep precious Jaxon in for many weeks to come. And I am going to ask Him to. Beg Him to.

    And if He chooses to allow Jaxon to come early, well, then He still has a plan. And it is good.

    I CLUNG to this verse during my pregnancy "May the God of HOPE fill you with all JOY and PEACE as you TRUST in Him, so that you may overflow with HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit" Romans 15:13.

    Please know I am praying and praying and then praying some more. Keep me updated as you can.

    BIG HUGS!!!
    kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over here from Kendra's blog. I have walked in your shoes. I am a pediatric nurse as well...and yes, sometimes knowing as much as we do just makes it scarier.
    I had my twins at 28 weeks and I have just seen God's hand in so many ways throughout that experience. I was on bed rest from 19 weeks until I delivered at 28 weeks. I have seen the miraculous and I know that God has His hand in all this. He will give you the peace and strength no matter what happens. I am definitely praying for more time and praying for peace as you wait.
    Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...