Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY: You Are My Sunshine Canvas

Source: etsy.com via Jennifer on Pinterest

I was inspired by this board that I saw on etsy a while back. I've been looking for something like this to put in Jaxon's nursery. The $$$ was a little out of my range. So I thought I could do something similar and a little more budget friendly.

Instead of using plywood, I purchased a 20X20 white canvas from my local Hobby Lobby. They have all different size canvases, so pick out the one that works best for you. I also purchased some contact paper from WM and a can of spray paint in the color that I wanted.

I cut out the letters using the contact paper on my cricut to the desired size. Then I placed them on the canvas accordingly. ***(Side note: Some of my letters didn't stick very well to the canvas so I just placed some double sided tape on the back so that when I got ready to spray paint it would not bleed through)***

After I placed the letters where I wanted them I put on 3 coats of spray paint. Allowing a few minutes to dry in between each coat. Then I let it dry for about an hour and then peeled off the contact paper.

And this is how it turned out...


Total cost was under $20. I used a coupon for the canvas and the spray paint was 30% off the day I purchased it. Overall I'm really pleased with how it turned out. And I've already got one in my mind for big brother's room I hope to get done soon.

2 comments :

  1. I LOVE it!! I sing that song to my babies all the time, so I totally have been eyeing those on Pinterest too!!!

    I don't have a circuit though...hmmm..gonna have to be creative...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out SO cute!! I might have to try something like this...I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...