Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Under the Weather

So Bryson has been battling a terrible cold for the last week. Cough, runny nose, fever, and congestion. Bless his heart he wakes up every night just coughing his little head off. I don't think he's gotten one good night sleep in over a week.

Yesterday when I got home from work I got him up and we had breakfast. Well...while I was feeding him I heard the dreadful wheeze. It's the first time I've heard him wheezing since last December when he was diagnosed with RSV. So I knew it was probably time to call his pediatrician. Of course she wanted to see us first thing this morning.

I was so glad we didn't have to spend too much time in the waiting room. When we got back to the room Bryson was in a pretty decent mood. Once his pediatrician came in she examined him and talked with us and diagnosed him again with bronchiolitis. Those of y'all that know me know I am so worried about Bryson being diagnosed with asthma due to him being born early and having some breathing problems right after birth (and it doesn't help that I work on the respiratory floor)...well, so far we are in the clear. Bryson's MD is not set on yet that he will develop asthma, but wants to continue to keep a close eye on him.

She prescribed him some albuterol puffs with the mask and wanted us to try that every 4 hours for a couple of days and then work our way up to 8 and then 12 and then only as needed. Albuterol is not a treatment for his RSV...it's just going to have to run it's course, but it will loosen up that nasty junk in his lungs and hopefully help him breath a little better at night.


It just breaks my heart to see my little boy so uncomfortable. He hasn't been himself in over a week...I just pray the albuterol helps him get some rest during the night...but then again I could have a wild monkey on my hands tonight. ha!

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...